Design researchers at Aalto University were in full force at the 2017 NORDES (Nordic Design Research Society) conference.
NORDES’17, the 7th bi-annual conference, 15-17 Jun, was hosted in Norway by the Oslo School of Architecture and Design AHO. The conference theme DESIGN+POWER is organized around themes such as articulations, consultations, controls, controversies, dynamics, engagements, identities, negotiations, projections, relations, and it with some outstanding keynotes, lively exhibition, workshops and doctoral consortium along with the academic program. Several faculty are part of Nordes and the 2017 general committee, including Tuuli Mattelmäki and Ramia Mazé who are on paper committees and chaired sessions. At the NORDES Commons meeting, it was agreed that Finland, through Aalto (with University of Lapland) will take up it’s responsibility to host the next bi-annual conference in 2019!
Peer-reviewed papers presented representing Aalto Department of Design
- Aktas, B.E. & Mäkelä, M. (2017) Craft Dynamics: Empowering felt making through design
- Andersson, C. & Mazé, R., Isaksson, A., Ehrnberger, K., & and Börjesson E. (2017) Materializing ‘Ruling Relations’: A case of gender, power and elder care in Sweden
- Hernberg, H. & Mazé, R. (2017) Architect/Designer as ‘Urban Agent’: A case of mediating temporary use in cities
- Hirscher, A-L. & Mazé, R. (2017) Negotiating Values in Design: A case of establishing and developing a co-sewing café
- Lumme, M. (2017) Co-Design as Everyday Politics in Learning Environments
- Sustar, H. & Mattelmäki, T. (2017) Whole in One Designing for Empathy in Complex Systems